Frequently Asked Questions

Prospective Students and Visitors: FAQs

Q: Do I have to major in music to participate in ensembles or take lessons?
A: No, in a word. All music department ensembles and courses are open to any qualified Lehigh student. Most of the ensembles have auditions before or at the beginning of the academic year. There is no audition required for Choral Union, Marching 97, and Symphonic Band.

Q: How do I audition?
A: Most ensembles hold auditions during orientation in August. Choral Arts auditions are held on Thursday throughout the day. Results are posted Thursday evening so that students accepted to the University Choir can plan to attend choir camp beginning on Friday. Instrumental auditions for winds, brass and percussion are held on Friday. String auditions are held separately during the weekend. Jazz ensemble auditions are completed during the first rehearsal on Monday.

Q: How do I sign up for lessons?
A: Students may register for lessons on line for an additional fee. The process is not complete until the student files their schedule online so the teachers may plan their schedules. Due to occasional conflicts in schedule or in teacher availability, the department may not be able to accommodate the student, who will then have to drop the course.

Q: Where can I keep my instrument if I bring it to campus?
A: The department has many lockers for instruments of different sizes.

Q: Where and when can I practice?
A: Practice rooms are available on the third floor of the Zoellner Arts Center from 7:00 a.m until 11:00 p.m. unless being used for private instruction, as posted on schedules on the door of each room.

Q: Do I have to major in music to be eligible for merit scholarships?
A: No. Any incoming freshman may apply for merit scholarships.

Lehigh University Performing Arts Scholarship
Cutler-Sametz Choral Arts Scholarship
Snyder Family Marching 97 Scholarship

Q: Is it possible to major in music and another discipline?
A: Yes. In fact, most music majors have another major. If a student wishes to get a B.A. in another area (for example, many of the programs in the College of Arts and Sciences), a double major can be done within four years. Students who plan on getting a B. S. degree majoring in engineering, business, and some sciences in the College of Arts and Sciences, can also major in music, however that constitutes a dual degree and generally takes five years to complete.

Q: Do I have to audition for the major?
A: Because the music major is a B.A. degree, there is no audition for admission. Students may declare the major at any point, but typically by the second year.

Q: Which courses might I be able to test out of by examination?
A: Students with background in piano may test out of the keyboard skills courses (Mus 2, 3, 4) and aural skills (Mus 7, 8) which accompany the theory sequence by examination. Those with a theory background may test out of Mus 11: Basic Musicianship.

Students interested in pursuing a music major or minor should consult the Academics page.

For any further questions, please feel free to contact our Department Coordinator, Ms. Alyssa Horne, at